Week 17 in Review

This week I had a lot of fun- we got to make stickers! It was fun to doodle different symbols and see what I could come up with. I can’t wait to see them come from the vinyl cutter.  Here are some of the stickers that I created this week:

sneakerstickerimage

A Run Fast sticker which I personally didn’t think turned out very well. I didn’t realize until I had exported it that putting the words Run Fast under a shoe might not be the symbolism I was hoping for. Also, the very clean font next to my doodle is just begging for my drawing to be cleaned up-this one didn’t go the vinyl cutter. However, in my next sticker I addressed the tidiness problem. My model for the shoe was a clip art picture from this link.

flowersticker

A Grow sticker! This one was definitely my favorite- my drawing looks much cleaner and compliments  the Joker man font from Adobe Illustrator.

runfaststicker.jpg

This is another Run Fast sticker but with a snail instead. I started thinking about an oxymoron during the tutorial here which said that a field mouse wouldn’t be a very good doodle to have under the word BOLD, unless you were trying to be funny or get the viewer thinking. Compared to most people in the cross country world I’m a snail, and yet I tell myself to run fast at every race- so I thought this sticker might be a good reminder to myself sometimes.

I think that I have accomplished both of my goals from the past few weeks. I’ve gotten better at saying more with less, and I am getting the vector image thing down.

We also did a T shirt design this week which turned out really cool. Mine says “Organic” which was printed against a black plain t shirt. (Scroll down for my final design for some reason my organic symbol took up an unreasonable amount of space)

 

organictshirt

Final Projectimnotkidding.jpg

Finally, here is my FINAL PROJECT for digital arts 1. I’m so sad I am not going to have this class next semester because it was truly one of the best electives I’ve ever taken. I tried to keep my drawing simple because I have so much trouble getting Adobe Capture to work right, and I knew I was going to struggle it. I hope to continue working with Digital Media on my own because I find it so fun and new. It seems as if there are always new things you can do to manipulate your drawings and pictures. I think that I might end up continuing to edit this blog, mostly with my photography. I’ve grown a lot over this semester, from becoming impatient with the smallest design problem to being able to put together vector images in minutes. I still have work to do,  and my final images are certainly not as good as some others, but I’ve learned to be patient and have discovered new mediums that I’ve never dreamed of.

Week 16 in Review

This week was pretty interesting because we really started working more with vector images, using Adobe Capture and Illustrator. I learned that drawing full shapes and NOT just lines is pretty important when working with vector images. In the above cartoon I failed to acknowledge that and it took longer than it should have to color all of the girls – even though they were just copies of each other! I ended up having to paint parts of the drawing instead of using a paint bucket because I had to many of my shapes were not closed.  I did have a lot of fun arranging the different colors for each girls outfit and I think it would be interesting to experiment more with how various colors of outfits affect your view of the cartoon.

In terms of focus this week I was pretty on task. It was a bit hard to get back in the groove of school after such a nice, long winter break so by the time Digital Arts rolled around on Tuesday I was ready to do some creating. I think I could have spent some more time on parts of the work I did this week, but I was really getting frustrated with how my vector images were turning out when I scanned them with Adobe Capture. Often, my scanned drawings will have holes in them where my original hand drawing did not. I actually like the effect it had on my symbol drawing below, but it makes it really hard to fill in using live paint. I actually had to outline some parts myself.

A few times, I had to refer back to the tutorials here for reference on live painting, but this week I was mostly on my own using Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Capture.

 

 

growsymbolrustic.jpg

Eventually, I simplified the drawing by redrawing it with less roots and petals and added more color to create my final piece. I like the thoughtfulness and quite look of the first drawing, but I also enjoy the eye catching colors of the second drawing.

colorflowersymbol.jpg

It symbolizes the hope I have of growing outside of my safe “circle” in this coming year, whether that be with my art, writing, friends or classes I take. I can see glimpses of this hope as I explore new clubs, work on the book that I will eventually publish, and experiment with my mom’s oil paints (when she’s feeling nice). This idea of growing outside of my boundaries is actually also my short-term goal. I think this is something I need to work on because I have noticed that I often go back to the same sorts of ideas in my art and writing. I don’t know if that’s necessarily a bad thing but I also think it’s important to explore.

As you can see from my vector images, I’m still working on my long-term goal from last post that stated something along the lines of creating a  simple vector picture that can accurately represent a topic. I am getting there, but I still need to work on simplifying my picture. Prehaps I can learn to say more with a little less, because I think that could be really powerful.  I will continue to grow towards achieving this goal in the coming weeks.