End of the Year

Wow! I haven’t updated this blog in a long time, not since it was an assignment for class. The school year is coming to a close, which means no access to creative cloud or digital arts for 3 months! Here are some of the things I’ve been working on lately as we finish up in class.

girlpowersymbol
I did some work with clipping masks, and recreated this popular feminist symbol.
Typography Portrait
I worked on adding effects and warping text with this portrait of singer Aurora with lyrics.
Typography Portrait [Recovered]
Here is another version of the same project using cooler colors.
cultivate
I worked on little fun illustrations that helped with forming images.
Road Sign-11
I worked on drawing flying cats (cause who doesn’t want to draw flying cats)
abbey
More warping text practice with a logo

 

I’m really enjoying being able to combine a lot of different things I’ve learned to make one big project. See you next year!

DPE 8- Q and A Questions

What grade do you believe you have earned? Why do you believe that?

I believe that I’ve earned a low A to high B. I’ve been really focused and on task, working hard on the different assignments we’ve had, but I keep forgetting to upload some of my completed photos and blogs…which is the actual grade. I am going to try to be better about that, it’s just a lot of bits and pieces to put together in my mind.

Post the image that you are most proud of and then answer these questions:ib-tshirt-design

Why are you proud of this image and more specifically, what did you learn while creating this image?

I’ve already posted this image, but I love it because it shows so much of my growth. This was the piece where I felt like I really mastered the pen tool, and I experimented with a lot of other different tools that I hadn’t worked with before. I learnt how to align things in a way I liked and really make a piece look cohesive. Even though it wasn’t a winner with the IB coordinator, I still really enjoy it.

What has been your biggest challenge in creating imagery this semester?

I think my biggest challenge has been creating images that I was confident about. I really kept self doubting myself while I was making my images and not focusing on the process. When we had a group forum with all the other ideas for the IB t-shirt I kept comparing my designs to the other one’s, which was not good. This was silly of me, especially since the IB coordinator ended up really liking some of the designs I made.

What project(s) have you enjoyed the most? Why?

I’ve enjoyed the Saxon project the most I think because it was the biggest challenge yet. Also, it was fun to do something in color after we’ve been doing so much in black and white. I really needed to splash some  colored pixels on the virtual canvas.

What project(s) have you enjoyed the least? Why?

 I’ve actually been really frustrated with our latest composite image project. I’ve forgotten a bunch of things from Photoshop and it took me awhile to find all the missing files in my brain about how to cut out part of an image and so forth. I was also feeling annoyed at the photoshopiness (that’s an adjective thankyouverymuch) of my image. You know when you can tell that something is very obviously fake and has been photoshopped in? That is  kind of what it looks like:

DPE Week 4

This last week we finally got our FIRST DESIGN PROJECT with an actual client and everything. It was pretty cool. The idea was that we would create a design for the IB program t shirts here at South. If you don’t know what IB is click here. We started with sketches of possible ideas, and then I finalized two of my favorites in Adobe.

My first design was an IB symbol shaped by pencils:

ib-tshirt-pencil-scrap

But it seemed a little elementary and I didn’t think it combined as many elements about the international Baculureate that I wanted it to. My second design was a globe surrounded by the characteristics of an IB student as defined in their learning profileib-tshirt-design

I think I like this design the best, although it a little more complex. Believe it or not, I traced the whole globe with the pen tool that I was struggling with. I really like how it turned out, and I was able to use the pen tool with control. I did get a little frustrated though, that words around the globe were not centered. It annoyed me to no ends and I don’t know why I couldn’t get it right. I tried to go for a playful, unified feel for both of my designs and I feel like I accomplished that.

My last design was cool, but I couldn’t use it because of the IB brand guidelines, which apparently stated that I couldn’t make a symbol that looked like I was redesigning the IB brand logo. So that was scratched, and I’m not sure, but I don’t think I can post it here. It took me a long time to understand the guidelines, but I THINK that my other two designs are fine.

During this week, I really began to understood the pen tool better, and I feel like I accomplished my short term goal. Now I kind of get anchor points and handles, and as you can see from my globe design, I’m not as frustrated with it anymore. However, I am still of course working on my long term goal. Having patience for attention to detail is something that is hard for me, it’s easy for me to say “good enough”. There are a lot of tiny things in my designs that I just pushed aside and forgot about, which if I had fixed, would have made my designs look a lot more professional. Over the next few weeks, I’m keeping my same long term goal but I am changing my short term goal to learning align things correctly. There are so many different ways you can do it, and I just know that I’m doing it the hardest possible way. In most of my designs, there are crooked or leaning elements. It took me longer than it should have just to straighten out a line on one of the designs that I did.