This weeks challenge: create an embellished A in your own font style.
And then completely get distracted and create an entire font line.
I started with a simple sketch of an A, then added vines, swirly que thingys, and leaves. In my head I was thinking of some sort of magical forest font- like something you would see in an old book about Fairies. I wanted it to be tall and bold, but also kind of fancy.
Here’s the original A I scanned into my computer using Adobe capture, which allows you to turn your drawings into vector images:
Then I messed around with effects and colors for a while. I didn’t like that the A was asymmetrical (haha), so I masked half of the drawing and then reflected the first half so it looked the same. Then I live painted the A this forest green color I liked. But when I finally decided on adding the glowing edges font, the green kind of disappeared. Sad that my image was now black and white, I copied the original A, and put it slightly skewed over the black and white one. Then I live painted that green. Bam:
It’s a lot darker than I was originally thinking in my head. I was going to go for something kind of airy and sprite like, but I also like how the A ended up turning out anyways.
Anyways, I enjoyed doing that so much, that I decided to do a whole font line with the same viney look. It’s a little weird, because when you zoom out you can’t really see the vines but it was still fun. Also another note: this font is not complete! There are still sections missing, lines that need to be connected, and you’ll notice there are no numbers in my template. I just wanted to try out the font machine I used without going through all the motions beforehand.
Okay. So all the letters I made are based off that one original A. I used the different lines already present in the A to form the straight letters, and used the warp effect to achieve the rounded letters. It took me about 3 hours just to put the whole template together, and I didn’t even draw any of the letters. I’m sure in some ways it might have been easier to draw the letters, but I wanted to see how far I could go on the computer, and you can’t those small leaf details without zooming in on the screen.
There were pretty much two main lines that I used to create all of my letters, and then it was just up to a few warps, turns and reflections to achieve the overall letter. The hardest part was making sure that each line fit together nicely. I think the letter S was the hardest to make because it was completely made out of curves. It was difficult to get all the pieces together. Here are the two lines I used:
Next part was to find a make-your-own-fonts webpage. I chose Calligraphr because it was easy to use, free for the most part, and the first one that popped up on my browser. Calligraphr has you download a template with basic letters and few punctuation marks, you can add some arbitrary characters, but some are restricted for if you pay for a membership.
Next step was to fill out the template! I dragged it into my Adobe file and dropped in the characters I had created. I learned the hard way that every part of the letter NEEDS TO BE IN THE BOX. It took me several uploads, and many minutes of frustration before I realized this. Here’s my completed template:
You’ll notice that the p, q, and g all take up the whole box, and their “tails” don’t hang down under the letter. This is easily fixed by messing with the “baseline” under “edit characters” once you’ve downloaded the template into Calligraphr.
Finally I was done with my template! Next step is to press “Build Font” and it will process each letter. Here’s the examples I got:
And bam! I got my own font! I call it: FOREST MAGIC! Its a little weird, and off center, but it’s my own font! And it’s exciting. I can’t wait to use it.
Tune in next week for a new adventure….